Hi, I'm Nicky Daly. Welcome to Stressworks!
I hope that, as you look through some of the information here on my site, you will get a clear flavour of who I am, how I work, the experience and expertise I can offer, my basic approach and philosophy, how and why I came to be doing this work and what I love about it, together with a little about the person you will meet in the room, how this process called therapy works, and what it will be like to work together.
But first, maybe I could say a little about Stressworks itself, and how I understand both the effects of difficult or traumatic experiences on us all, and how we might go about alleviating those effects and restoring ourselves to health.
I say 'us' and 'we' because there are times when every single one of us goes through difficult times, which throw us out of balance and feel plunged into confusion and out of control.
Therapy, and the need to talk things through, therefore, is a need we all have in common, and a facility which has the power to get us all back on track.
Psychotherapy / Counselling has often been called "The Talking Cure" and my many years of experience in this field have demonstrated the truth of that over and over again. The relief, insight and perspective that talking brings is life changing, and truly empowering.
I invite you to read more, and look forward to you getting in touch!
SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT STRESS, AND HOW WE CAN HELP...
What happens when we're stressed...
Both in our personal lives, and also in our workplace, we frequently encounter stress and stressful situations.
Stress can be a positive force; we all need a certain amount of stress in order to function and be well. Often, though, its effects can be experienced as wholly negative.
- When we're stressed, we feel ill, frightened, unable to think, paralyzed, we want help but we don't know how to reach out.
- Everything feels overwhelming, and we find it hard to get our fears and worries in perspective.
- We can become isolated, alone, withdrawing from love and support even when it's offered.
- We're just running scared. The dominant feeling is one of being completely out of control and on our own.Counselling, Psychotherapy and Anxiety Coaching specialising in stress, anxiety, panic and trauma in Shepshed, between Loughborough and Ashby-de-la-Zouch
What stress feels like...
The symptoms of stress itself can be extremely frightening too.
- We find we can't think or concentrate.
- We can find ourselves with a constantly unsettled tummy, digestive problems and no appetite.
- We start to notice pain, often headaches, neck and muscle pain from holding ourselves tense.
- Sometimes we start to have palpitations or difficulty regulating our breathing. Panic starts to crash over us in waves and we can be shocked to experience panic attacks.
- Our sleep often becomes disturbed and unsatisfying, and suddenly we're in a cycle we don't know how on earth to stop.
- We find ourselves saying, 'How did it get to this?' or 'This isn't who I am.
- Sometimes we feel we don't know or recognise ourselves anymore.
- Nothing feels right but we don't know how to begin to express just how confused and frightened we feel.
- Those around us don't know how to help or what to say, and can sometimes back away or become frustrated because we can seemunreachable.
- We know something's got to change, but we're at a loss to know where to begin.Counselling, Psychotherapy and Anxiety Coaching, specialising in stress, anxiety, panic and trauma in Shepshed, between Loughborough and Ashby-de-la-Zouch
What causes stress...
Stress has many causes, and can present itself in many different ways. However, always at the heart of stress is a message that says something needs to change.
- The signs that we've reached a point at which everything is telling us that something needs to change are often physical ones, like those we've mentioned above.
- However, they can also show themselves in our emotional life or in our behaviour.
- We can find ourselves tearful and low, or angry and snappy and on a really short fuse. Sometimes we want to blame someone, but don't know who, so we end up taking it out on those close to us, or even complete strangers.
- Whatever the particular symptoms, and however it happens to present itself, we're receiving important signals that something in your life is not okay.
- That might be something current, or it might be something that happened in the past that seems to be coming up to the surface right now.
- Or it might be worries about the future, or a decision or major life change that's on our mind and will give us no peace.
- Being unhappy or dissatisfied with our lives, or some particular aspect of it, is another common cause of stress, as is fear of initiating change.
- Whichever way we look at things, we feel stuck and helpless.
~ STRESSWORKS ~offers a practical alternative. We specialise in helping you to understand and manage the complex reactions we all suffer in response to, or in relation to, such disabling and quite overwhelming experiences as:
- Panic Attacks
- Lack of Confidence
- Low Self-esteem
- Obsessive or compulsive behaviour
- Eating difficulties
- Painful childhood memories or trauma
- Family difficulties
- Decision making
- Feeling overwhelmed by others
- Crisis or life crisesWe can help you to manage the symptoms associated with these. However - and more importantly - we can also help you get to the root of them. We help you to tackle not only the symptoms but, more importantly, the actual causes.Counselling, Psychotherapy and Anxiety Coaching specialising in stress, anxiety, panic and trauma in Shepshed, between Loughborough and Ashby-de-la-Zouch
~ STRESSWORKS ~ offers Counselling, Psychotherapy and Anxiety Coaching, working gently to help individuals understand what is underneath and behind their current difficulties, so that they can feel in control, empowered, and able to make the most of their potential.
We also provide Anxiety Coaching and Life Skills coaching, supporting you to discover and practise new ways of being, and new skills and techniques, which will enable you to live a fuller and more effective life, both at work and personally, and to enjoy fuller and more effective relationships.
WE OFFER YOU A COMFORTABLE, PRIVATE SPACE IN WHICH TO THINK AND TALK
We work at your pace, with respect for your needs and wishes. Our clients are drawn both locally from the Shepshed, Loughborough and Leicester and the surrounding area, but also from much further afield.
Some clients travel two hours or more to see us, because they have found our approach and style helpful. For such clients, we can offer double sessions of slightly less frequency, to accommodate their travel and time constraints.
We also offer telephone sessions for those who have mobility or travel difficulties, or for whom distance makes travelling to see us prohibitive or impactical.
We offer Skype sessions worldwide, and draw clients from as far away as the States, India and Australia.
We have a large following across the world based on our writing, podcasts, magazine columns and social media presence.
~ STRESSWORKS ~ takes seriously the findings and recommendations of the latest cutting edge research into well-being and the balance between the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needed for optimum health. We therefore offer a range of holistic options for those who feel this would suit them better.
~ The Holistic Wellbeing Centre ~
Spiritual Life Coaching
CLICK HERE to visit website
WE ARE BASED IN SHEPSHED, BETWEEN LOUGHBOROUGH AND LEICESTER
We offer counselling, psychotherapy and life coaching for individuals, couples, families and groups.
We also run training days and and relaxation days both here in Shepshed, in Loughborough and Leicester, in Derbyshire and in the surrounding areas.
We also offer events and seminars online. Details available on request.
Our registering and accrediting bodies include: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP); Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD); Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC); The British Holistic Medicine Association (BHMA); The Reiki Association; The International Association of Reiki Professionals.
We have many years' experience in counselling, psychotherapy, motivational training and life coaching.
Why not contact us today, and start to implement the changes you want to make?